Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Got My Spring Planting Wrapped

Well today was a beautiful day, sunny in the mid to upper 60's. Couldn't ask for a better day when the last couple had been gloomy and rainy. So I thought it would be a perfect time to get the rest of my spring plantings and seeding in the ground. It started off with me and Scout planting her marigold's just like Max and Ruby. If you don't know who that is, google it, you'll thank me for it. Despite Scout pouring almost an entire packet of seen in a 1 inch clay pot, it went pretty well.

Then came time to plant some seedlings and some seed in daddy's lasagna garden. And if any of you are like me, you're pretty particular about how your garden is handled. I just about had a nervous break down with Scout stepping in my beds, on top of my recently seeded herbs, and stabbing her shovel just about everywhere it shouldn't go. Mommy could see my anxiety and distracted Scout from the garden. Now I could breath.

So I got my final seedlings in the ground, these included:

two good clumps of basil
some lavendar
sage
parsley
mammoth dill
(i love me some herbs)
kohl rabi
collard greens
some different leaf lettuces
cabbage
yellow tomatoes
red tomatoes (variety unknown)
big boy tomatoes
jalapeno peppers
serano peppers
chili peppers
banana peppers
bell peppers
tomatillo (from seedlings and seed)
and several varieties of eggplant

I also sowed some seed today:
mustard greens
beets - detroit dark red
beets - tall top
brussell sprouts
squash - dixie hybrid
zuccini - summer squash
peas - alaskan snow
carrots - danvers and red something or other
cucumber - pickling and burpee hybrid

I know this seems like a ton of plants and seed for such a small garden, but I'm sort of using this year as an experiment. I would like to see what varieties do best in my yard and my conditions. I also started and planted seeds and seedlings in a 2 week spread. Every two weeks starting at the middle of January I planted a couple of seeds and seedlings and seeds. This will give me a good estimate for the best time to plant for each variety next spring. I take really good notes with dates, locations, and varieties so I don't miss any important information.

I still have a couple of things to go in the ground, watermelon, cantaloupe and some beans, but for the most part thats a wrap on my spring planting. Kind of glad thats over, now I can sit back and watch. This will give me a chance to give a true evaluation on my thoughts on a lasagna garden. This year will truly be a learning experience. I've already learned that Scout should have her own garden and shouldn't come within 50 yards of mine! Take care and good gardening to you all.

2 comments:

Amy said...

hahaa...poor scouty. Send her to her auntie and uncle who have no garden or gardening skills whatsoever and she can stomp all over the backyard as she pleases.

And I about died at the "sowed some seed"...hmmm the Sowers sowed today. very cool. ha

xoxo love you guys.

David Sowers said...

I'm quite confident that's exactly where my name comes from, seems like I remember my dad telling me about the origins of our family name. Yeah I just bought Scout's plane ticket, she'll be there tonight at 9.

Post a Comment